Communication between parents/carers and school is so important to ensure children make the best progress possible and feel safe and happy in school. Please keep us up-to-date with contact details for parents, carers and other contacts. We need at least two contacts per child, in case of an emergency.
School Gateway is one of the communication tools we use between school and parents/carers so please ensure you download the app and have notifications turned on to receive any messages we send regarding your child.
Ways we communicate general information with parents/carers
- A weekly newsletter, including key dates, reminders and achievements is emailed every Friday. It is also published on the school website.
- Additional information is available on this website.
- School noticeboards are also updated with information.
Ways we communicate specific events to parents/carers
- Letters are emailed with the newsletter on a Friday. For example, this may be about a class trip or a sporting event.
- We try to keep the calendar on this website as up-to-date as possible.
- As an additional courtesy, we may send text messages and make phone calls as reminders. However, this is time consuming and incurs a cost to the school, so we try to keep it to a minimum.
- Occasionally, we hold additional information meetings (e.g. Year 5 and 6 residential).
Ways we communicate general curriculum information to parents/carers
- Curriculum overviews for each year group are available on the curriculum section of this website. We also have a comprehensive curriculum policy.
- Each year we hold a Welcome Evening in the Autumn term.
- Each week classes take it in turns to lead a class assembly. Parents, carers and other family members are invited to share in children's learning. Afterwards, we offer tea and coffee.
- We run specific workshops such as phonics or SATs preparation.
Ways we communicate specific information to parents/carers about their child’s progress
- We host consultation evenings each term. Parents/carers and children are invited to attend.
- We write formal reports each year. We also report to parents/carers their child's results in examinations.
- We are often available for a telephone conversation after school. During the school day, our office staff will try to answer your queries.
- Our teachers are usually available for a quick chat on the playground after school.
- We use Marvellous Me. This is an app parents/carers can download on their phone. This keeps parents/carers up-to-date with their child's learning.
- In EYFS and Year 1, we use Tapestry, an on-line learning journal. This keeps parents/carers up-to-date with their child's learning and supports a two-way communication.
- Every week we monitor attendance and punctuality. We send letters to update parents/carers on their child's attendance.
- Children with SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities) have a termly meeting to discuss their progress and set individual targets. These conversations focus around a SEND support plan.
Ways parent/carers can communicate with the school
- You will need to notify the school if your child is absent (i.e. illness or a hospital appointment) by 9.30am on each day of absence. If your child doesn’t arrive at school and we haven't been informed as to why, then the school will contact you to check on their absence.
- You will need to keep up-to-date by reading weekly newsletters and letters. Please regularly visit the school website. Your child’s class teacher is available most days after school. Should you wish to make an appointment with them, please contact the school office.
At Peartree Primary School we send communications to parents/carers electronically so please ensure we have an up to date email address and mobile telephone number for you.
School Gateway enables us to share information with parents/carers more quickly and efficiently via email, text, online and phone apps. It also saves you and the school time and money. We would like all parents/carers to use this service.
Please ensure your notifications for the School Gateway app are switched on, otherwise you will not receive any messages we send.
What does School Gateway offer?
- Make payments online via Bank Transfer, Debit or Credit Card.
- Make dinner money payments, view balances and receive automatic notifications when a balance needs topping up. All school dinners must be paid for in advance.
- Book clubs such as Early Birds’ Breakfast Club, Night Owls’ Afterschool Club and termly sports clubs.
- Pay for school visits.
What do I need to do?
Sign up to School Gateway and activate your account. It’s quick and easy to do. All you need is your email address and mobile phone number that the school holds on record for you.
Download the app: If you have a smartphone, please download the School Gateway from your app store (it’s free!). The app shows the same information as the website, PLUS you can message the school for FREE – this will also save the school money when we send you one back.
Visit the Website: www.schoolgateway.com and click on ‘New User’. You’ll receive a text message with a PIN number. Use this PIN to log into School Gateway.
If you are having trouble logging in, it may be because school doesn’t have your current email and mobile phone number on record, so please could you make sure your details are correct with us on our system. If you are a new parent/carer, you will be able to do this once your child has started Peartree Primary School.