Westminster Virtual Trip
Good morning Rowan Class!
Our topic this term is ‘celebration’ and we are going to go on a special trip! We are going to time travel all the way back to the Queen’s Coronation in 1953!
We are going to take a tour of Westminster Abbey:
As you take a tour around the Abbey try to answer these questions:
• Why do you think people have celebrations in the Abbey?
• What does coronation mean?
• Try to put yourself in the shoes of the Queen seeing the Abbey on her coronation day, how would you feel? Why?
• Find out the purpose of different objects around the Abbey, what are they used for? How do they help us celebrate?
• Why do you think lots of people celebrated the coronation?
After you have taken the tour, watch the video of the Queen’s coronation (you don’t have to watch it all!). Can you see any similarities and/or differences with the tour you have just taken?
We have lots of fun activities for you to do to help in the trip!
Lots of people had street parties to celebrate the Queen’s coronation, why not dress up in your best clothes and have you’re a picnic in the living room or outside!
Activity Ideas for Westminster Trip
• Cut zig-zags across a piece of paper, join together and attach to make a crown.
• Dress up in your best clothes and have a celebration of your own. Have a picnic in your garden (if it’s nice weather) or in your living room!
• Draw one of the Queen’s corgis.
• Write an acrostic poem for Queen, Coronation, Abbey or Celebration.
• Create and role play a news programme from the celebration, what would you say? What might people think at the time?
• Use your toys to re-create the coronation.
• Use lego’s or building blocks to build Westminster Abbey.
• Paint, draw or collage a street party.
• Use left-over cardboard and draw a picture frame, ask your adult for help cutting it out and decorate your frame.
• Bake some celebration biscuits!